Thursday 24 March 2011

Dyeing Cape Fabric

Today I went to Fabric Land in Ringwood to find some fabric to use as a basis for my cape. I initially intended to buy some white cotton calico with the intention of dyeing it blue by hand. However, I found a very rich deep blue cotton calico which as only £4.99 a meter. I've bought 2.5 meters (I should only need about 1.5 but I thought it better safe than sorry!). The blue is the perfect base but I really don't want the colour to be flat. As today was so hot and sunny, I decided to take the fabric outside and add to it. I mixed some Dylon 'Ocean Blue' dye in a bowl and dunked random areas of the fabric in it (with the intention that these areas will come out a darker blue than un-dyed areas). I then hung the fabric along the washing line and rubbed some Brusho Powder Paint in Tourquise into areas with a sponge (with the same intention). I then added splodges of Black and Colbolt Blue Silk Paint to the fabric. I literally have no idea how it's going to turn out as it is still on the line outside drying! I hope the fabric is now not such a flat colour. Tomorrow I am going to lay the pattern pieces out onto the fabric at Uni and cut them out (sounds easy enough but I will probably be quite rusty as I havn't done this is a while!).

No comments:

Post a Comment