Monday 21 March 2011

Ophelia- Flower Symbolism


This is the extract from the text of Hamlet in which Ophelia gives away the flowers and herbs she has collected:

OPHELIA
There's fennel for you, and columbines: there's rue
for you; and here's some for me: we may call it
herb-grace o' Sundays: O you must wear your rue with
a difference. There's a daisy: I would give you
some violets, but they withered all when my father
died: they say he made a good end,--


I have done some research on the language of flowers to determine what the flowers and herbs Ophelia gives the other characters in the court symbolise. I found this research on http://www.ehow.com/.:

Shakespeare often used flowers to symbolize emotions of characters. In "Hamlet," Ophelia---the love interest of the title character---hands out a series of flowers that are rich with meaning when she learns her father, Polonius, has been killed.

  1. Rosemary

    • Rosemary is a well-known symbol of remembrance, loyalty and fidelity.
      According to an article written by Katarina Eriksson, the former head gardener of the Huntington Library, Museum and Botanical Garden in San Marino, California, when Ophelia gives her brother, Laertes a flower and says, "There's rosemary, that's for remembrance; pray you, love, remember," Shakespeare is citing rosemary as a symbol of faithfulness and remembrance. Ophelia, Eriksson says, is urging her audience to "remember what's been happening" and encouraging her brother, Laertes, to "examine where true loyalties seem to lie."

    Pansy

    Fennel & Columbine

    Rue

    • Continuing with her insults and insinuations, Ophelia presents the bitter herb rue to the queen saying, "There's rue for you; and here's some for me. We may call it herb of grace a Sunday's. O, you must wear your rue with a difference." Eriksson explains that "rue was the major cause of abortion in its day, which is also why it was tied in with adultery."

    English Daisy

    Violet


Read more: The Meaning of Ophelia Flowers | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_6766640_meaning-ophelia-flowers.html#ixzz1HKvSfiuT
I found this research really interesting. Despite these flowers not being included in Redon's painting, I may include them in my design. I really think that it is important for the message Ophelia was giving in Hamlet to now transfer to a modern audience in my recreation.

1 comment:

  1. Please give me credit in my article, Katarina Eriksson. Former Head Gardener of the Shakespeare Garden at The Huntington Library and Botanical Garden. Thank you

    ReplyDelete